Sunday, November 9, 2008

Journal Entry #1

By Clarissa Larsen
CTICU Nurse

For me the 2008 Egypt heart trip is more than an amazing opportunity; it also represents the very first stamp in my very first passport. After traveling over 31 hours we are finally here, in Alexandria Egypt. It is a different world compared to our small, quiet Loma Linda. I am fascinated by the sites and sounds. I am intrigued by all the faces that I see. What is their story? And what do they think when they see me, an obvious American with a camera and a smile on her face?

The most powerful moment so far was getting off the elevator in the hospital for the first time. Here we are, with our suitcases filled with supplies, tired from days of traveling and when the elevator door opened we were greeted by a room full of families and children who had probably been waiting hours for our arrival. These children are the reason we are here. I was suddenly filled with a sense of humility that I’ve never felt before. I could see in their faces how excited they were for us to be there. Their sense of gratitude was overwhelming. It is for these children that we came half way around the world, and I knew after I saw the very first child smiling up at me, that this was going to be an adventure I would never forget and that I am truly blessed to have been given this opportunity.

1 comment:

peachguzmans said...

:)!! You guys are amazing.